Listen Live

NEW YORK – A tragic accident in New York killed a dog who was electrocuted when it walked over a metal plate on the street.

>> Read more trending news

The dog was being walked by its owner when witnesses said the dog squealed, WNBC reported. Fire officials told WNBC the dog stepped onto a metal grate and was electrocuted by stray voltage.

Witnesses described attempts to save the animal. “She was trying to give breath to the dog, but the dog wasn’t moving at all,” a neighbor told WCBS.

Con Edison, which supplies power to the area, told WABC that their investigation found that a customer had removed a privately owned street lamp and replaced it with a steel plate, and that the voltage did not come from Con Edison equipment.

Incidents like this have happened in the past, when melting snow and salt seeps underground, eroding cables, WNBC reported. When that happens, an electrical current is freed, and can lead to dogs being shocked WNBC reported.

Firefighters told WCBS that the dogs owner, who was also shocked, refused treatment.