Listen Live

SAN FRANCISCO – Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, was released from a San Francisco hospital on Thursday, six days after a person broke into the couple’s San Francisco home and attacked him with a hammer.

>> Read more trending news

Nancy Pelosi said her 82-year-old husband was released from the hospital Thursday, The Associated Press reported.

“Paul remains under doctors’ care as he continues to progress on a long recovery process and convalescence,” Nancy Pelosi said in a statement. “He is now home surrounded by his family who request privacy.

“The Pelosi family is thankful for the beautiful outpouring of love, support and prayers from around the world,” Nancy Pelosi added. “Paul is grateful to the 911 operator, emergency responders, trauma care team, ICU staff, and the entire ZSFGH medical staff for their excellent and compassionate life-saving treatment he received after the violent assault in our home.”

CNN was the first outlet to report Pelosi’s release from Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital.

Pelosi was injured Friday after a person broke into the couple’s home, Chief William “Bill” Scott said. He underwent successful surgery to repair a fractured skull and had been recovering for the past several days, KGO-TV reported. He also sustained serious injuries to his right arm and hands, the Los Angeles Times reported.

David Wayne DePape, 42, faces federal charges of assault on the immediate family member of a federal official and attempted kidnapping of a federal official. In an affidavit made public Monday, officials said DePape told Paul Pelosi that he was looking for Nancy Pelosi and that he intended to wait until the speaker returned to the couple’s San Francisco residence.

DePape told police he was on a “suicide mission,” according to The Washington Post. DePape allegedly said he had a target list of state and federal politicians as part of his effort to combat “lies” coming out of Washington, the newspaper reported.

Investigators later said that DePape intended to take Nancy Pelosi hostage and break her kneecaps to send a message to Congress.

Pelosi attack suspect David DePape was in US illegally from Canada: reports

DePape was taken into custody after officers were dispatched for a well-being check at the Pelosi home just before 2:30 a.m. PDT. At a news conference last week, Scott said officers found DePape and Paul Pelosi at the house, with both men holding on to a hammer.

DePape, a Canadian citizen, could face deportation after his criminal cases end in San Francisco, the San Francisco Chronicle reported, citing officials from the Department of Homeland Security.

Check back for more on this developing story.