LUBBOCK, Texas – A Texas toddler who swallowed a battery last month died Thursday, the child’s family said.
Reese Hamsmith, who was 17 months old, died at the Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston, KCBD reported.
The child suffered burns to her throat, esophagus and vocal cords, the television station reported.
The girl’s mother, Trista Hamsmith, wrote on Facebook that after she left the hospital, “We were a family member short.”
“It’s a heartbreak I will never be able to express,” Trista Hamsmith wrote. “I will never forget looking out that window on the plane knowing my baby wasn’t with me.
Reese Hamsmith will be remembered as a “spunky, outgoing, and sassy 17-month-old,” her mother wrote.
“She is pain-free at home with our Savior,” Trista Hamsmith wrote. “She is most likely bossing everyone around up there.”
As of Friday afternoon, more than $34,000 has been pledged to the family.
Help a Deserving Family Get a New Roof for Free!
LISTEN LIVE: Listen to Houston’s Eagle now!
SeaWorld Howl-O-Scream and Spooktacular
Dean & Rog’s Thousand Dollar Minute
Dean & Rog Mornings
Play the Harley High Roller Contest
On-air surprise: Joe Buck learns he is joining father in Pro Football Hall of Fame
‘Leave him alone’: Adele halts Las Vegas show, scolds security for ‘bothering’ fan