FLAT ROCK, Mich. – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer declared a state of emergency for two counties and the city of Flat Rock on Thursday after hazardous fumes were detected at a sewage treatment plant.
Wayne County Executive Warren C. Evans declared a state of emergency for Flat Rock after a hazardous material spill was detected in the community’s sanitary sewer system, WDIV reported.
Later in the day, Whitmer issued a state of emergency for Flat Rock and Wayne and Monroe counties, the governor said in a news release.
“We are working closely with local officials and emergency crews to investigate the source of these fumes and protect the safety of residents in the area,” Whitmer said.
The fumes were detected inside two homes in the Hickory Ridge subdivision of Flat Rock, according to WDIV. One homeowner said his house has been uninhabitable since Tuesday, and crews continue to detect fumes in his home.
The spill does not affect the community’s drinking water, officials said.
Officials did not say what the hazardous material was, WDIV reported.
Flat Rock Mayor Mark Hammond described the smell as “a sweet fruity smelling gasoline,” the television station reported.
Dean & Rog Mornings
Def Leppard / Journey / Steve Miller Band at Minute Maid Park
Winning Weekend!! Win Tickets To See Santana LIVE August 17
Dean & Rog’s Thousand Dollar Minute
Win Tickets!! Sammy Hagar's 'The Best of All Worlds Tour' with Special Guest Loverboy
Best Excuse To Get Out Of A Bad Date!
Gabby Barrett’s Personal New ‘Chapter & Verse’ Album Is Here