Listen Live

LONDON – Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, have been asked to vacate their Frogmore Cottage home in the United Kingdom, a spokesperson for the couple said on Wednesday.

>>Read more trending news

Frogmore Cottage, located on the grounds of Windsor Castle west of London, had been intended as the Duke and Duchess’ main residence before they gave up royal duties and moved to Southern California, the BBC reported.

The 10-bedroom property was a gift to the couple from the late Queen Elizabeth II, according to the news outlet.

“We can confirm the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage,” a spokesperson for the couple said in a statement.

According to The Associated Press, the Sun newspaper in the UK reported that King Charles III began the eviction process on Jan. 11. That was the day after Harry’s memoir, “Spare,” was released.

The book, which became the fastest-selling nonfiction book in the UK since 1998, when records began to be kept, included claims that Harry was physically attacked by his brother William, the Prince of Wales, the BBC reported.

Harry also claimed that he and his brother had begged Charles not to marry Camilla, who is now the Queen Consort.

The reports come two months before Charles’ coronation in May and before a major review of royal household finances, The Washington Post reported.

In September 2020, a spokesperson said the couple had repaid $3.2 million in taxpayers’ money that was used to renovate the residence, the AP reported.

The BBC reported that the cottage was built in 1792 by Queen Charlotte, the wife of King George III. The residence was used by the queen and her daughters to escape the court in London.

Surviving relatives of Russia’s Tsar Nicholas II also lived there after fleeing to the UK after the murder of other family members by the Bolsheviks in 1918, according to the news outlet.