Listen Live

HOUSTON – A woman and an 8-year-old girl died in Houston early Tuesday of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning that sent two others to the hospital, police confirmed.

Houston police indicated a family was attempting to stay warm by running a car in an attached garage, KHOU reported.

>> Read more trending news

A historic winter storm paralyzed Texas on Monday, exhausting the state’s power supply and leaving at least four million residents without power as temperatures plummeted into single digits.

According to the Houston Police Department, officers conducted a welfare check at a condominium near Jackwood and discovered two adults and two children suffering the apparent effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. A man and 7-year-old boy have been hospitalized, KTRK reported.

Upon entering the condo, officers reportedly found the woman dead in her vehicle and the girl dead inside the residence, which is attached to the garage where the vehicle was running, the TV station reported.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is dangerous and potentially poisonous if inhaled.

According to authorities, the woman was on the phone with a relative in Colorado while sitting in the idling car when she lost consciousness. The relative alerted Houston police, KTRK reported.

“It’s a very difficult time. A lot of people are without power,” Lt. Larry Crowson told the TV station. “I know it’s cold, but you’ve got to be careful about using generators or cars inside a garage, or any type of fire, grill or charcoal grill. Carbon monoxide is odorless and can kill people very easily.”