Listen Live

PHILADELPHIA – Authorities in Pennsylvania have arrested a second suspect after a mass shooting in Philadelphia’s entertainment district left three people dead and at least 11 others hurt.

>> Read more trending news

According to WCAU-TV, Philadelphia police and U.S. Marshals arrested Rashaan Vereen, 34, about 7:30 p.m. Monday on several charges, including attempted murder, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, obstructing justice, tampering with evidence and weapons violations.

>> RELATED STORY: Philadelphia shooting: 3 dead, several injured after gunmen fire into crowd

The news came after Quran Garner, 18, was taken into police custody following the shooting, WHYY-FM reported. He faces charges of aggravated assault and aggravated assault on an officer, according to WCAU.

>> RELATED STORY: Philadelphia shooting: $20K reward offered after 3 killed in gunfire

Authorities believe the incident began about 11:30 p.m. Saturday as Vereen and Gregory Jackson, 34, walked past 23-year-old Micah Towns on South Street, WCAU reported. Following a verbal exchange, Jackson and Vereen physically attacked Towns, officials said. Jackson then began shooting at Towns, who fired back, killing Jackson, authorities said. Assistant District Attorney Joanne Pescatore said both men had legal permits to carry a firearm, according to WHYY.

During the confrontation, one of Towns’ friends, Garner, was nearby, authorities said. Garner fired a gun toward Jackson before aiming at police, who shot Garner’s hand, according to WCAU. Garner was charged after receiving treatment at a nearby hospital, officials said.

District Attorney Larry Krasner said Towns, who remains in critical condition at an area hospital, will not face charges, according to the Bucks County Courier Times.

In addition to Jackson, two bystanders, 22-year-old Kristopher Minners and 27-year-old Alexis Quinn, were killed in the shooting, The Philadelphia Inquirer previously reported. The wounded victims ranged in age from 17 to 69, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said Sunday.

The case remains under investigation.