Listen Live

MOUNT SHASTA, Calif. – Three separate climbing incidents on California’s Mount Shasta killed one hiker and sent four others to area hospitals Monday.

>> Read more trending news

Update 7:35 a.m. EDT June 7: The fifth climber who had to be taken from Mount Shasta has been rescued and taken to a hospital, KRCR reported.

The climber’s name and the severity of her injuries have not been released.

More information has been learned about the climber who died.

The Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office said the woman was tethered to a couple she had been guiding up the mountain. One of the climbers lost their footing and all three fell, KNVN reported.

Mount Shasta is a volcano that is considered potentially active, with an elevation of 14,179 feet and is the second-highest peak in the Cascade Range.

Original report: The Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the fatality to KRCR-TV but did not immediately identify the victim.

Public Information Officer Courtney Kreider, with the sheriff’s office, confirmed to the Mount Shasta Herald that the airlifted climbers suffered “obvious severe injuries.”

An eyewitness told first responders that one climber fell about 1,000 feet, the newspaper reported.

Meanwhile, the sheriff’s office confirmed to KRCR that it is coordinating rescue efforts for a fifth climber.

The climbers have not yet been identified publicly pending notification of next of kin, the Herald reported.

According to the sheriff’s office, the first rescue was executed at 8:39 a.m. and involved three climbers, including one currently listed in critical condition, one who suffered a broken ankle and one who died before rescue teams arrived, KRCR reported.

A climber injured in the second incident was listed in critical condition Monday night.

Meanwhile, the rescue in progress was requested at around 4 p.m., and a helicopter is still attempting to locate the injured female climber, the TV station reported.

Kreider told the Herald that climbers returning from the Avalanche Gulch trail are reporting poor conditions after fresh snow that fell Sunday turned to ice overnight.

According to the newspaper, the trail boasts a “7,000-vertical-foot ascent that exposes the climber to steep snow and ice, rock fall, and weather extremes.”