Listen Live

DUNWOODY, Ga. – Police in a Georgia community have issued a warning after paramedics were called to a high school to treat a student who attempted to participate in the “One Chip Challenge.”

>> Read more trending news

The Dunwoody Police Department issued the warning in a Facebook post, saying its officers and paramedics were called to Dunwoody High School on Monday for a report of a student who ate a Paqui tortilla chip.

The “One Chip Challenge” requires participants to eat a Paqui tortilla chip, which is “made with two of the spiciest chili peppers in the world, the Carolina Reaper pepper and Scorpion pepper,” WSB-TV reported.

In its warning, police said that according to medical professionals, “the challenge can cause serious side effects including severe coughing, asthma, serious burning of the eyes and mouth and vomiting” as well as “more serious health problems, esophageal damage, chest pain, heart palpitations and even heart attacks.”

Paqui announced the 2022 One Chip Challenge in August, daring people to taste the “high voltage chip created for the shocking pleasure of intense heat and pain.”

“Each year, the team here at Paqui raises the bar and develops an intensely thrilling challenge that pushes the fearless to their limit,” said Paqui senior brand manager Brandon Kieffer. “Fans be warned, this year’s chip isn’t for the faint of heart, and there’s no cheating the test. Only the bravest will be able to prove they’ve faced the Reaper when they show off their blue tongue after completing the challenge.”

Several students in California’s Bay Area reported getting sick after attempting the challenge, KNTV reported. In a statement to the station, Paqui said, “We take safety very seriously and have worked hard to ensure our products are properly and clearly labeled with allergen and safety information.” The company noted the safety disclaimer on the chip’s packaging warns that it should not be eaten by people who are pregnant, sensitive to spicy foods, minors or those with medical conditions.