Listen Live

IRVINGTON, Ala. – A deadly fire that killed two children when it tore through a house was likely started by one of the victims.

>> Read more trending news

Investigators told The Associated Press that they found a butane lighter next to the mattress that caught fire in the children’s bedroom. Liam Barnes, 4, and Noah Gordon, 2, were killed in the fire last Thursday.

Sgt. Mark Bailey told WALA that the boys’ mother confirmed the cigarette lighter belonged to her, saying: “She usually keeps it in the kitchen. The 4-year-old, obviously, got a hold of the lighter, made it back to the bedroom and was playing with the lighter when he ignited the mattress.”

The two children were alone in the house when the fire started, because their mother, Kali Sherman, had walked next door to a neighbor’s house, and was alerted to the smoke coming out of her home, AL.com reported.

“We’ve obviously talked to her and several neighbors,” Bailey told WALA. “She’s, you know, she never does leave the kids alone. She never leaves them alone for any period of time. She never leaves the house with the kids inside.”

Sherman was able to rescue her 10-month-old son from his crib in the home, the AP reported.

The Mobile County Sheriff’s Office told the AP that the smoke detectors near the children’s bedroom weren’t working.

“This was a tragic, tragic — to say the least — incident. It was accidental,” Bailey told WALA. “There was no intent and no, you know — there was just no recklessness here.”

No charges will be filed in the case, investigators told AL.com.