Listen Live

SAN MATEO, Calif. – Police are investigating the apparent accidental poisoning death of a resident at a senior citizens home in San Mateo, California.

>> Read more trending news

Three residents of Atria Park Senior Living Facility were hospitalized Saturday after they were served dishwashing liquid mistaken for grape juice, KRON-TV reported.

The woman who died passed away Monday, while the other two Atria Park residents remained hospitalized Monday night, KNTV reported.

“We have been working with local authorities, who have informed us that one resident passed away. Our sincerest condolences are with the family,” facility officials told KRON in a prepared statement.

Although Atria Park officials have not publicly identified the victims, Marcia Cutchin confirmed to KRON that the dead resident was her mother, Gertrude Elizabeth Murison Maxwell.

Cutchin told the TV station that Maxwell arrived at the hospital with “severe blistering of her mouth and throat and esophagus.”

Cutchin also confirmed to KRON that facility officials told the family that the substance Maxwell ingested was an “alkaline cleaning solution that eats protein.”

Maxwell, who had dementia and was incapable of feeding herself, is survived by eight children and 20 grandchildren, her daughter said.

According to a statement, obtained by KNTV, Atria Park San Mateo is conducting its own internal investigation, and the employees involved have been suspended pending the investigation’s outcome.

“We will continue working with the police and Department of Social Services to fully review and assess the incident, after which we will take additional actions as needed. The safety and well-being of our residents remain our top priorities at all times,” the facility stated.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.