Listen Live

BOSTON – Boston’s famous “Skinny House” sold for a hefty price tag on Thursday.

>> Read more trending news

The 1,165-square-foot home in the city’s North End, which measures 10 feet at its widest point, sold for $1.25 million, according to Zillow.

The home was listed on the market on Aug. 10 by CL Properties for $1.2 million, according to The Associated Press. The house, located at 44 Hull St., was sold to a family of four, according to The Washington Post.

The residence, also known as the “Spite House,” is a four-story building that is 6.2 feet at its narrowest point, according to CL Properties.

“Shaquille O’Neal would definitely be able to touch wall to wall,” Travis Sachs, executive vice president at CL Properties, told the Post.

The home “received multiple offers and went under agreement for over list price in less than one week,” CL Properties posted on Facebook.

The house last sold in 2017 for $895,000, WFXT reported at the time.

>> Tiny house, big price: Boston’s ‘Skinny House’ for sale

Legends surrounding the home, which was built across from the historic Copps Hill Burying Ground, have varied through the years.

According to the current legend, the home was built after a feud between two brothers, the Post reported.

“The story is that there were two brothers who owned a piece of land, and one of the brothers built a bigger complex on the land and left the other brother a very small portion, while he was away at war.” Sachs told the “Today” show.

While one brother was fighting in the Civil War, the other built property on it, the Post reported. When the second brother returned from the war, he allegedly built the “Skinny House” in 1862 as a way to block his brother’s views of the area — and also sunlight, the newspaper reported.

That is the accepted legend. According to Boston newspaper archives from 1920, the original legend was that during the Revolutionary War, the builder, “a Tory,” had the structure built “to shut off light from the home of a neighbor with whom he quarreled.”

A map of the district, in possession of the Bostonian Society in 1920, showed that the home was not built until long after the British vacated Boston in the 18th century, “giving the lie to the old legend,” according to a newspaper report in 1920.

The Skinny House has two bedrooms and one bathroom and includes a private deck with a view of Boston Harbor, according to the AP. The home does not have a front door. Instead, residents enter through a side entrance.