PHILADELPHIA – A 14-year-old girl described as a person of interest in the beating death of a 73-year-old man last month in Philadelphia turned herself in to authorities on Wednesday, according to multiple reports.
Police told WCAU that the girl, who was not identified, turned herself in to homicide detectives around 11 a.m. Wednesday. Her attorney told WPVI-TV that she will be charged as an adult with murder and conspiracy.
Two brothers, ages 10 and 14, turned themselves in earlier this week in connection with the beating, which claimed the life of 73-year-old James “Simmie” Lambert Jr., according to WTXF-TV. The news station reported that the younger boy was released after being questioned. The elder boy, identified as Richard Jones, has been charged as an adult with third-degree murder and criminal conspiracy, according to KYW-TV.
Jones’ attorney said Tuesday in court that the teenager threw a traffic cone at Lambert and that it hit the man in the shoulder, KYW reported. A judge ordered Jones be held on a bail of $750,000, according to the news station.
The circumstances leading to the deadly attack remained unclear Wednesday. Police said a group comprising seven teenagers struck the victim with several objects in the early morning hours of June 24. The attack knocked the man to the ground and left him with injuries that caused his death a day later. Video released by police showed at least two teens – a boy and a girl – using a traffic cone to attack the man.
Unidentified sources told WCAU that Lambert was attacked with the traffic cone, food and fists after he walked past a basketball court and questioned why young people were out so late. Police said the attack happened around 2:30 a.m.
The victim’s older sister, Elsie Stephens, called the attack “so evil,” according to WCAU.
“You have a mother and a father,” she said. “How could you just beat a man until you take off half of his skull?”
Authorities continue to investigate.