Listen Live

Former Pope Benedict XVI has asked for forgiveness for what he called “grievous faults” in how he handled clergy sex abuse cases, but he did not admit any specific wrongdoing on his part, The Associated Press reported.

>> Read more trending news

Benedict, who retired in 2013, was responding to a law firm’s report that looked at how the Munich archdiocese handled sex abuse allegations.

The independent report that Benedict was responding to criticized how he handled four cases of sex abuse by clergy members while he served as archbishop of Munich, the AP reported.

The law firm investigated cases spanning from 1945 to 2019. Pope Benedict, 94, served as archbishop under the name Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger from 1977 to 1982.

The firm accused him of not restricting the priests’ ministries even after they had been convicted criminally.

The Vatican News reported that Benedict was not aware of any sexual abuse committed or any suspicion of abuse by priests in the cases analyzed and published in the law firm’s report.

“I have had great responsibilities in the Catholic Church. All the greater is my pain for the abuses and the errors that occurred in those different places during the time of my mandate,” Benedict said, according to the AP.

He also asked for forgiveness, the AP reported.

“As in those meetings, once again I can only express to all the victims of sexual abuse my profound shame, my deep sorrow and my heartfelt request for forgiveness,” Benedict wrote.

In the page and a half letter, written in German, Benedict said that God will be the one to judge him.

“Quite soon, I shall find myself before the final judge of my life,” Benedict wrote, according to Reuters.

The retired pope’s lawyers challenged the report’s allegations saying that the German report mischaracterized his actions or knowledge of what was happening during his tenure, according to the National Catholic Reporter.

The German law firm’s report also alleged the cardinals that came before and after Benedict were also at fault, saying there had been at least 497 abuse victims and at least 235 suspected abusers in the diocese, the AP reported.

Benedict’s team however wrote that “As an archbishop, Cardinal Ratzinger was not involved in any cover-up of acts of abuse,” the AP reported.

He also apologized for saying that he hadn’t been at a meeting on Jan. 15, 1980, where it was decided that the diocese would accept a priest who required “treatment.” The reason why “treatment” was necessary was not divulged, according to Vatican News. Benedict at the time did not know the priest had sexually abused anyone. The priest was not put into pastoral activity, according to the news outlet.

Benedict was at the meeting and his presence was omitted due to a transcription error, the Vatican News reported.

Check back for more on this developing story.